Howdy and Happy Thursday! Before I get into today’s post, a quick housekeeping note. I have added a few pictures and more detail into the post from Monday for Butterick 5030. There was a question about how I added fullness to the skirt, so I wanted to expand on that a little. If you have other questions, let me know! I’ll make sure to include more information on pattern alterations in future posts. I know how helpful it is.
Now, let’s talk about creative spaces. I always love seeing where people work; how it’s organized and arranged, what equipment and tools use, the aesthetics of the room. I started my business in the little house we were living in at the time, in the smallest spare bedroom you can imagine. Once all the furniture and equipment were in it, you could no more turn around before bumping into something. It made for some interesting sewing sessions! Then I moved into what was supposed to be the formal dining room, then into a new house and spare room, then a real studio space as we grew and needed the square footage. Right now, post-business and only sewing for myself, I’m lucky. Our house has a spacious loft upstairs that gets tons of natural light and there’s plenty of space to spread out. I know what it’s like to have your hobby crammed into a room the size of closet, so I’m very grateful to have the space I have now.
Side note: I spent a couple hours this week cleaning this room from top to bottom, but there’s nothing I can do about the dogs toys that are always hanging around . . .
I get asked quite often about my table. My dad built it for me a few years ago, and it’s even customized to my height so my back never hurts. He used an existing table as the base so there’s a shelf under the tabletop and plenty of room for storage underneath. Until a couple months ago there was no skirt around the table so all the ugly was visible and it drove me up the wall. The table skirt is made from some muslin I had from an attempted backdrop project back in the day, so that was a good of material I already had lying around. I used elastic in the skirt itself and velcro to attach it to the table. Easy!
Patterns, pattern making supplies (I love those rolling carts!), and a basket for remnants and scraps.
And, finally, there’s the corner where all the sewing is done. Hard to style this or make it pretty–it’s where real work gets done.
And there you have it: photos of everything clean, in its place, and organized. Now I’m off to finish the tulle skirt tutorial I’ve been promising for months, and mess up my studio in the process!
Have a great rest of the week!
Happy New Year! We had a wonderful Christmas, and I hope you did too. I…
It’s a chilly and rainy Saturday here which, I must admit, is a…